The Coronavirus crisis raised two major questions related to real estate development and parking:
- How to maintain public health and minimize the risk of illness in all touchpoints.
- How working from home is going to impact the demand for units and parking.
Here is why the Fully Automated Parking systems best fit the reality of the post-pandemic parking solutions.
1. Using Touchless solutions
As the global pandemic is still happening, thoughts are emerging about its impact on new developments in metropolitan areas. Planners are challenged to keep a healthy distancing while minimizing the use of common touchpoints.
The parking industry is also challenged to maintain users’ safety and health. Typically, a conventional parking solution involves several touchpoints for drivers. They walk in public areas, use parking elevators or stairs, open doors, and in some cases, accept a valet to drive their cars.
Fully Automated parking systems are completely Touchless Solutions, designed to work with no human intervention
Automated Parking eliminates most of those touchpoints. Drivers park in an ample bay room, lock the car and leave. The system handles the parking and retrieving process with no human intervention. From entry to exit, no other person touches the vehicle besides the driver.
From the user’s perspective, the parking process ends in the bay room. Users may utilize the Kiosks to complete the parking/retrieval, though they can just use U-tron’s mobile app, and avoid touching even the kiosks.
Yet, users get a valet parking experience and comfort, without anyone entering their vehicle.
Watch our automated parking system works completely ‘Touchless’ without human intervention
2. Coping With Future Changes in Parking Demand – The Developers’ challenge
Remote working became an abrupt reality for the majority of workplaces over the pandemic. However, the future of permanent working from home is still unclear. The only thing we know is that the future of new buildings will require flexibility. That goes to parking too.
Automated Parking Can be Repurposed To Housing
Planning a new building, either residential or commercial, should take into account future changes in parking requirements and car ownership. Automated parking has the advantage of being able to repurpose a parking structure when changes occur.
Automated parking systems do not require ramps and turning radii. In many cases, it’s a rectangular shaped structure, constructed with 15′ floor-to-floor height. Steel racks are added in between the slabs to accommodate vehicles. It’s much easier to remove the steel racks and repurpose the volume than rebuild the whole garage. Developers will be able to construct new units/retail without rebuilding the entire development, keeping a minimum impact on the environment.
Steel Mezzanine between slabs in U-tron automated parking system at UCLA, CA
Automated parking provides an entirely touchless parking solution, and best suited to the after-pandemic time, thanks to three major reasons:
- Fully Automated – The machinery takes care of the entire parking and retrieval process. It does not involve human action aside from the driver itself.
- Mobile App operation – Users of automated parking can perform parking, retrieving, and executing payments using their mobile app, currently offered only by U-tron.
- Adaptive Reuse – Automated parking solution allows developers to future repurpose and convert part of the parking space into units, without having to rebuild the entire development.